Thursday, August 21, 2008

Human Values from Bhagwad Gita

HUMAN VALUES FROM BHAGWAD GITA: RELEVANCE FOR MODERN MANAGEMENT 

Human and ethical values have been the very foundation of Indian scriptures, including Bhagwad Gita. Here, attempt is being made to provide some insights into the qualities ( values) for jnanam (knowledge) espoused by Lord Krisna to Arjuna, as enshrined in Chapter 13 of the Bhagwad Gita. While explaining these values, it has also been endeavoured to provide their relevance to the modern management. It is hoped that these values, if sincerely put into practice, will manifest attitudinal change in the mind of the modern day managers. Each of the total twenty values are proposed to be covered in 20 posts(one in each post) to facilitate better assimilation of these values.Values are the deeply held beliefs of individuals and groups what they cherish as desirable or good. Rokeach (1973) defines value as an “enduring belief that is personally or socially preferable to opposite or converse mode of conduct or a state of existence.In essence, values are our bedrock conception of what we want (or want to avoid)". Indian philosophical studies, both in the past and present , have emphasized the significance of value in the human life –situation. Indian Philosophical tradition has been value-centric within the background of deep religio-spiritual foundation, with dharma being deeply ingrained in its cultural heritage. Dharma is intrinsically ethical. Right from the Vedic period four main values of life have been highlighted in Purushartha, which incorporates Dharma(righteousness), Artha(wealth), Kama(enjoyment) and Moksa (salvation or liberation). Three main ways (margas) of Indian life are closely associated with the trio Satyam (truth), Shivam(good) and Sundram (beauty). These have been considered as basic values of the Indian ethos.
The present alarming erosion of human values in management practices leading to ethical dilemmas could prove a threatening factors for all round development of a nation. India has the eternal wealth of human values which were taught in the cosmic science of Bhagwat Gita and Upanishads. One has to inculcate and develop these human values for leading a peaceful integrated life, as also for reorientation of various management practices for the achievement of managerial goals . Such transformation would not only better ones own life but also help to attain peace and prosperity in the practice of business in the world of corporate management. Today, the essence of human values is the nourishing factor for 'the management capability' of a manager, who is the leading figure of the management scenario.
The Bhagwad Gita is considered as the essence of the Vedas and Upanishads. One of the greatest contributions of India to the world is the Holy Bhagwad Gita .Today the ancient Indian philosophy of Bhagwad Gita , which has entered inter alia in the managerial domain of the world, has found its place not only as an alternative to the theory of modern management, but also as an inspirational source to individuals by bringing them back the right path of peace and prosperity . The management lessons from Bhagwad Gita have been illumined to the world by many Indian saints including Swami Chinmayananda, Swami (Dr.) Parthasarthy, and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who has called the Bhagavad-Gita as the essence of Vedic Literature and a complete guide to practical life., as it provides “all that is needed to raise the consciousness of man to the highest possible level..” It reveals the deep, universal truths of life that speak to the needs and aspirations of everyone. To motivate Arjuna to do his duty, the Bhagavad Gita was preached in the battlefield of Kurukshetra by Lord Krishna . For the present day managers , who are also facing similar ethical dilemmas, albeit in a bit different scenario, Bhagwad Gita has got all the management tools to provide the mental equilibrium and to overcome any crisis situations through inspirational messages gleaned from it. The Bhagavad Gita can be experienced as a powerful catalyst for transformation. This divine book will contribute to self -reflection, finer feeling and deepen one's inner process, making the worldly life more dynamic, full of joy—no matter what the circumstances might be- through attitudinal changes in the individuals. What makes the Holy Gita a practical psychology of transformation is that it offers us the tools to connect with our deepest intangible essence , leading us to participate in the battle of life with right knowledge.
In Chapter 13 of the Bhagwad Gita , Lord Krishna , in response to a question by Arjuna about jnanam ( knowledge) and jneyam (that which is to be known), lists 20 qualities of the mind (values) which must be present before the mind of the seeker. The values to be personally valuable must be discovered through knowledge (seen as valuable by the value-holder) and not simply impressed upon from without. Although the list of values constituting jnanam is long, yet the qualities(values) stated therein are inter-related , defining a harmonious frame of mind in which knowledge can occur. Each of the them highlights a certain attitude, the value for which must be discovered personally, in order that attitude becomes a natural aspect of the seeker’s frame of mind . Lord Krisna declares all these to be knowledge, and anything beyond these as ignorance.
These qualities or human values have been stated in the Bhagwad Gita as follows:
Amanitvam adambhitavam ahimsa ksantir arjavam
Acaryopasanam saucam sthairyam atma-vinigraha (BG:13.8)
Indriyarthesu vairagyam anahankara eva ca
Janma-mryyu-jara-vyadhi- dukha-dosanudarsanam (BG:13.9)
Asaktir anabhisvangah putra-dara-grhadisu
Nityam ca sama-cittatvam istanistopapattisu(BG: 13.10)
Mayi cananya-yogena bhaktir avyabhicarini
Vivikta-desa-swevitvam aratir jana-samsadi (BG:13.11)
Adhyatma-jnana-nityat vam tattva-jnanartha-darsanam
Etaj jananam iti proktam ajnanam yad ato ‘nyatha.(BG 13.12).
Let us discuss these twenty values (one by one) for jnana (knowledge) advised by Lord Krishna to Arjuna, to ascertain their relevance in assisting the modern management for efficient and effective performance of various functions by the managers and guide them for ethical dilemmas faced by them.
VALUE 1: “AMANITVAM”: Absence of Self-Worship-fullness
According to Swami(Dr.) Parthasarthy, Amanitvam originates from Sanskrit word manitvam , which means extending to conceit or haughtiness. It is an exaggerated opinion about oneself. ' Manah' implies that whatever qualification one has looms large in one’s mind as worthy of respect and regards from others. Thus, manitvam stands for exaggerated self -respectfulness or self- worshipfulness. The value Amanitvam indicates the absence of such self-worshipfulness.
A simple , factual self-respectfulnesss , in fact, is a good quality of mind. The problem arises only when self-respectfulness is exaggerated into self-worshipfulness, which undesirably incites others 'to show me the respect that I feel is my due.' But,' when I demand respect, rarely will it be given to me on my terms'. The person upon whom I make such a demand may not respond. Or, he/she may be suffering from his own manitvam, and respond with hostility or make a demand upon me for greater respect. The result can be mutual hurt, friction between each other, troubled minds.
The basis/cause of self-worshipfulness is found in a deep underlying doubt in my own mind about my own qualifications. When I am completely certain that I have, in full measure, the qualifications that I claim, I have no need to demand from others respect for them. Manitvam arises because I do not seem to accept myself as one who is qualified. The demand from others for recognition shows that I need some support so that I can feel that I am somebody. This demand comes from an inner sense of emptiness, a lack of readiness to accept myself as I am, because I secretly fear that what I am not good enough.. ' I assert not just my qualifications, but my qualification in the glorified light in which I view them.'
Hurt is possible when there is a ‘bloated ego’ or pride. Inflated ego is disproportionate, with excessive significance attached to what I know, what I feel, what I possess, what I do, how I look. With this over emphasis on a ‘knower-doer-I’ comes the expectation of a certain response from others recognizing my importance. When response does not come, then comes hurt. A hurt -deflated ego tends to spend a lot of time planning how to teach a lesson to the one who brought about the hurt, and… with lot of hurts, the list of those who have to be taught a lesson is likely to be long. For such a person, sitting quietly in meditation is not possible. In such a firmament of the mind the luminaries are all the people who caused hurt; and it is upon them that he dwells in meditation. 'A hurt mind is like a monkey’s wound, which does not heal but only gets reopened.'
It is fine to have abilities and to use them; but abilities should be allowed to speak for themselves . 'My attitude towards my accomplishments should be like a flowering bush towards its blossoms. It blooms because it must bloom'. And this is the way I should be about my gifts and skills. I should simply use them as best I can because that seems to be what I am supposed to do. People who have a value for these particular abilities may give me some respect for them, (while) others who have no value for these particular abilities, no doubt, will ignore them. I should let my actions themselves command respect from those who are able and willing to extend it, but I should never demand the respect.
Manitvam (Self-worshipfulness) is displaced when its foolishness is realized. It will cease to be a value for me when I clearly see for myself that its very basis is false, and, that it does not work. My concern with the respectful attitudes of others is a tremendous squanderingof my mind’s time. Moreover, self-worshipfulness is never justified by accomplishment. I claim the honour for my accomplishments because I consider myself the author of the acts,the producer of my skills or gifts, for which there must be a body to wield them. But I didnot author the body that houses me, which came to me with certain inherent potential or predisposition. Even if I subscribe to the belief in reincarnation and my karmas, I can claim neither authorship nor knowledge of the particular laws that ordained this body. My jivatav (apparent separate individuality) housed for the moment in this particular upadhi(body) is anadi (beginningless) like creation itself, of which it is a part. 'I am neither the author of creation, nor am I the author of my body. 'Therefore, I can exploit the abilities provided to me but I did not create them.
Moreover, even in the exploitation of my skills, sheer ability is not the determinant of success or failure, which are because of certain opportunities I had, as well as because of my personal effort. I can not claim to have created or commanded the opportunities, which were given to me as I happened to find myself in the right circumstances, grow and learn what I needed to learn, happen to meet the right persons, and someone provided me right guidance at the right time. There is, thus, no place for manitvam. I should rather be grateful for whatever abilities I seem to have.Every time manitvam pops up , assume the position of a dispassionate analyst and try to understand its foolishness under the particular circumstances. To be effective, I must conduct my analysis of manitvam without self-condemnation or regret and try to see things as they are. From the position of an observer I can see the senseless of my expectations in all their absurdity. I should see that my real problem(in seeking self-worshipfulness) is my basic feeling of inadequacy and self-doubt, which is made worse, not better, by harbouring manitvam. In contrast, when I enjoy amanitvam I become a simple person, who does not have any complexities.However, a prideful ego, despite being irrational, is very common problem, especially in Western society, where individualism has come to be so highly prized. It will also be noticed that amanitvam is a quality of mind conducive to discovery of Self.
A Manager, who is imbibed with the quality of mind (value) of amanitvam ( Absence of Self-Worship-fullness), will be shorn of complexities, and, therefore, have lesser conflict situations, as people will respect him for his /her qualities of their own and extend cooperation towards achievement of organizational goals. On the contrary, if he/she seeks Manitvam (Self-worshipfulness) the concerned persons shall start doubting his credentials and not respect him spontaneously. Moreover, if he/she could imbibe this value by constant reinforcement/ practice, this will also give him the advantage of quality of mind that is conducive to discovery of Self, making him a perfect Manager and a perfect man.
Let us, therefore, ponder over this value of amanitvam ( Absence of Self-Worship-fullness), and inculcate it to the best of our endeavour, to become perfect individuals and effective Managers.

Ved Prakash

2 comments:

  1. Hare Krishna Prabhu

    I was born in the darkest ignorance, and my spiritual master opened my eyes with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him.

    www.hrishikesha.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEASE JOIN THIS GROUP"values in Bhagavad Gita....this group is all about... lord krishna preaching valuable values.There are many gems of Ethical Human Values lying untapped in Vedas and allied Vedic Literature like Bhagwad Gita, lying unfathomed and unutilised in the modern times, especially when we need them greatly, due to constant degradation of of Ethics and Human Values. Let us try to discuss these Human Values, and make concerted efforts to spread the messages contained in Bhagwad Gita, world-wide, and try to find their relevance for Modern Management...thank you Group Address: https://www.facebook.com/groups/valuesBG/

    ReplyDelete